[78-L] The Answer (was: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz)

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 25 12:20:15 PST 2009

Michael Biel wrote:

> But you ask about Ayler.  I admit I never heard of him, let alone heard
> him, so I figured I might as well try to see what he sounded like.  So I
> went to websites and found a pretty official one that had a page of what
> is noted to be the editors all-time favorite recordings of him.  That
> would be a good start.
> http://www.ayler.org/html/some_mp3s.html

> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
Unfortunately these examples don't show Ayler at his freewheeling best,
most of it theme and variations. He didn't appear from nowhere with a
new style, Ayler's earliest recordings show him playing in a Sonny
Rollins mode, albeit Rollins-by-the-yard.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4716 (20091225) __________

http://www.eset.com