[78-L] Sun Ra & Steve the Greek (what 78s are SR on?)

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 26 10:49:52 PST 2009

buster wrote:
Nope, Steve's had an unfortunate fire in the 80s, which took out the
whole building and the other businesses in it - as well as the mural on
Steve's wall that featured a tribute to Pat and Tricky Dick.  Fire was
later found to be intentional...and I remember that Steve was fingered
as having done it for the insurance.  As you passed by on the sidewalk
outside he would always yell out in his thick accent: "Free today! de
best, number one!" and shove a piece of lamb in your mouth through the
window if you were within arm's reach.  He'd give you some free baklava
if you got a souvlaki.

But imagine Sonny Blount in full cosmic uniform walking down Telegraph
and into that joint, sitting and eating under the painted smiles of Mr
and Mrs Dick Nixon while pining for his home planet, Saturn.  Makes me
smile.

78 validation, according to a quick look at wikipedia:  He made his
recording debut on two 1946 Wynonie Harris singles, "Dig This
Boogie/Lightning Struck the Poorhouse" and "My Baby's
Barrelhouse"/"Drinking By Myself;" "Dig This Boogie" was also Blount's
first recorded piano solo, and you can hear it online here:
http://www.7digital.com/artists/wynonie-harris/dig-this-boogie/ by
clicking on the preview button next to the entry for that song.
==================

The session has been reissued a few items, although Lord doesn't list Sonny.

Wynonie Harris
[H2601-10]
Wynonie Harris (vcl) acc by : Jackie Allen (tp) unknown as, p, g, b and d .
Nashville, March, 1946
     Dig this boogie    Bullet 251, Krazy Kat KK783
     Lightning struck the poorhouse          -              -
     Drinkin' by myself           252, Route 66 KIX-3
     My baby's barrelhouse          -              -    , KIX-20
Note: All above titles also on Classics (F)1013 [CD].

Incidentally, I may have been the first to draw attention to Sonny's
presence on this session. He had mentioned, in interview, that his first
recordings were made with Harris, but no-one seemed to have followed it
up. He also wrote "Chocolate Avenue", recorded by Clarence Williams, but
which showed no composer credit on the label!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4717 (20091226) __________

http://www.eset.com