[78-L] Sun Ra & Steve the Greek (what 78s are SR on?)

buster busterdog at mac.com
Sat Dec 26 10:41:24 PST 2009

Nope, Steve's had an unfortunate fire in the 80s, which took out the whole building and the other businesses in it - as well as the mural on Steve's wall that featured a tribute to Pat and Tricky Dick.  Fire was later found to be intentional...and I remember that Steve was fingered as having done it for the insurance.  As you passed by on the sidewalk outside he would always yell out in his thick accent: "Free today! de best, number one!" and shove a piece of lamb in your mouth through the window if you were within arm's reach.  He'd give you some free baklava if you got a souvlaki.

But imagine Sonny Blount in full cosmic uniform walking down Telegraph and into that joint, sitting and eating under the painted smiles of Mr and Mrs Dick Nixon while pining for his home planet, Saturn.  Makes me smile.

78 validation, according to a quick look at wikipedia:  He made his recording debut on two 1946 Wynonie Harris singles, "Dig This Boogie/Lightning Struck the Poorhouse" and "My Baby's Barrelhouse"/"Drinking By Myself;" "Dig This Boogie" was also Blount's first recorded piano solo, and you can hear it online here:  http://www.7digital.com/artists/wynonie-harris/dig-this-boogie/ by clicking on the preview button next to the entry for that song.