[78-L] fwd: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 25 21:00:57 PST 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Later versions of "jazz" gradually eliminated the necessity of adhering to
> already
> extant "chord structures...leaving players free to wander off into
> new/different
> sets of chords. which did NOT have to depend on either extant chords for
> given songs...or on long-extant "rules" as to which chord might follow
> another
> given chord! This, of course, takes some "getting used to" from listeners!
>
> Finally, jazz players decided to dispense with any/all "rules" that in any
> way
> defined what they were to play!
>
> Steven C. Barr
=====================
Once I'd tuned into avant garde jazz in the mid-60s, I had no trouble
"whistling along" to the solos. I had no problem following Ornette
Coleman's work, but, in retrospect, I find his angular phrasing a little
unpleasant, and unnecessary. Rhythmically, he was quite conventional,
using brilliant bass players, but stodgy drummers (shades of Duke
Ellington!). As someone once remarked to me: "Billy Higgins is better
than Ed Blackwell, but that's not saying much!"

It wasn't until I heard Sun Ra, that I found a fully rounded free jazz
that I was totally comfortable with. I now find I have 67 LPs and 177
CDs of him, with some more on the way! Of course, there is much
time-wasting on his later work, but there is usually one great track on
each record. His vintage period seems to be 1962-1965.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4716 (20091225) __________

http://www.eset.com