[78-L] fwd: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 25 12:04:11 PST 2009

Royal Pemberton wrote:
> Somewhere I have a LP with an Albert Ayler live cut on it called
> 'Ghosts'....it sounded like seven minutes of the kind of incidental sounds I
> got on tape when I was recording a big band live in 1982 that my dad played
> in, when musicians were just showing up, and warming up their instruments
> within the 10 or 15 minutes before the first set began....

>> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbie.com
----------------
I think I can tell the difference between good and bad Ayler
performances. I have had many of his records but didn't keep them all
because I thought nothing was happening. I'll admit he's not easy to
listen but I also find Sidney Bechet difficult to listen to in large
doses because I find his work too rich.

On the other hand, I can listen to John Gilmore's work for extended
periods, apart from his stints away from Sun Ra (Blakey, Hubbard, Bley,
Mingus, Dizzy Reece etc, where is seemed totally bored).

       Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4716 (20091225) __________

http://www.eset.com