[78-L] fwd: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Dec 24 19:51:26 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Dan Van Landingham wrote:
>> Dave Tough was another favourite of mine;I liked his drumming on Tommy
>> Dorsey's 12/6/37
>> Victor recording of "Little White Lies" which I heard some forty years
>> ago.It's also one of my favourite Dorsey recordings.It's a shame he died
>> so young(40 in December,1948)on a
>> New Jersey street.
> What's the shame in dying on a New Jersey street?

We had best figure this out in a hurry! My local paper headlined the tale of
76-year-old man dying of a heart attack in plain view on a downtown-Toronto
street, while NOBODY bothered to help...?! As we ALL get older (especially
78 collectors, and thus 78-L folks...?!) the likelihood of our dropping over
stone cold dead increases...!

One wonders why some 21st-century entrepreneur isn't selling "If my body
is found, please inform...?!" tags, to be worn in case of "emergency?!"

Steven C. Barr