[78-L] Fred Waring Christmas Album

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 24 14:41:42 PST 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> Decca's first LPs were cut and pressed by Columbia,
>> interestingly enough.  dl
>
> This IS interesting.  While there is a certain resemblance in the hard
> vinyl and occasionally there are the fancy typeface stampings in the
> masters, I would never have guessed because so often when Columbia did
> client pressings the label paper color, typefaces, and layout are
> similar to Columbia itself.  For example, that early green label
> Westminster pressing you recently found.  But I don't recall anything at
> all on Decca labels that remind me of Columbia.
>
> Not doubting you, but do you have any documentation to reference this?
> I'd love to be able to pinpoint specific pressings!  In the RCA label
> books there are sample Capitol 45 labels, and I think some of the first
> Capitol 45s are clearly RCA pressings, but I don't think there are any
> blue cards.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

I'd be willing to bet money on a few of the early ones being cut and pressed by
Columbia, particularly Manhattan Tower. Font and vinyl are identical to 1949
Columbias (US) and don't have that quick run-out most Decca LPs have for the
first few years. The Canadian pressings, on the other hand, were all Compo (now
I wonder if I can produce a Compo pressing of what looks like a Columbia master?).