[78-L] Fred Waring Christmas Album

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 24 14:29:59 PST 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Decca's first LPs were cut and pressed by Columbia,
> interestingly enough.  dl

This IS interesting.  While there is a certain resemblance in the hard
vinyl and occasionally there are the fancy typeface stampings in the
masters, I would never have guessed because so often when Columbia did
client pressings the label paper color, typefaces, and layout are
similar to Columbia itself.  For example, that early green label
Westminster pressing you recently found.  But I don't recall anything at
all on Decca labels that remind me of Columbia.

Not doubting you, but do you have any documentation to reference this?
I'd love to be able to pinpoint specific pressings!  In the RCA label
books there are sample Capitol 45 labels, and I think some of the first
Capitol 45s are clearly RCA pressings, but I don't think there are any
blue cards.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com