[78-L] Shopping in places other than record stores

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Dec 23 14:42:52 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "eugene hayhoe" <jazzme48912 at yahoo.com>
> When I was 17 back in the '60s, I bought many great records cheap in drug
> stores, grocery stores, every kind of discount and dept. store, 2nd hand
> stores, Sally Army stores, St. Vincent de Paul storefronts, Volunteers of
> America shops, even roadside stands,
> By the mid' 70s, most of these had unfortunately dried up.

And I was finding really good 78-reissue CD's at Dollarama stores; I suspect
that
you lovers of classical music can still do so! Note that many of the thrift
stores in
the above list had TONS of 78's back in the sixties/early seventies...a LOT
of
folks were getting rid of their "obsolete" 78's, since they were no longer
playable
on turntables and record players. These thrift stores usually charged ten
cents
(sometimes 25...?!) each for 78's.

Since I started collecting 78's in 1973, after inhertining my late father's
300 or
so 78's (no one else in my family wanted the dommed things...!), I carted
home 78's by the milk box full...at those prices! I also bought 78's very
cheaply from a store in Toronto...Don's Discs (Don Keele still sells used
records...often 78's!). Don had an unusual pricing policy...the records got
cheaper as they went unsold (he once GAVE me about 400 "leftover"

As far as used LP's, they still abound at most thrift stores; however,
conditions vary from "well-used" to "beyond hope!"

Steven C. Barr