[78-L] Christmas songs (returning to original subject line)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 23 06:43:37 PST 2009

[Please remember to change the subject line! I responded to the previous
message, not realizing that I'd replied to a topic I've been automatically
deleting for the last 3 days, as have most people who are bored to death with
the thing.]

One thing we didn't discuss, in differentiating Carols and Tin Pan Alley songs,
is folk material like "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" and "Wassail Song".
Borderline carols but no mention of anything holy.

ps..I never heard the Dreidel Song until about five years ago. I think my
younger siblings may have learned it when they were kids..what's its story?

dl (a red diaper baby who also never heard of CHANUKAH till the age of 10)