[78-L] oBoo turning a blind eye to bootlegs?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 22 20:33:45 PST 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Well, down there in the US Of A, EVERY sound recording is protected
> until (so far) January 1, 2068...so there are no such things as legally-
> reissuable recordings!! Nor will there be for another 58 years!! However...
> here in Canada (and in much of Europe), there exists a 50-year term (in
> Canada, as of the end of the fiftieth year after initial "fixing!"), so
> there are
> sound recordings which might still interest buyers which are already
> "Public Domain!"

By the way, so far I'm not hearing anything about sound recordings, but the EU
is pressuring Canada to extend the copyright (death+50) for compositions. I
believe it's already 70 years in most of Europe and the UK. The CD reissue
industry is dead as a doornail, except for a very few specialty producers, but
the Internet is alive and kicking (and one reason reissue CDs are dead is that
as soon as you put one out, somebody posts it online gratis no matter what your
rights may be, plus any Joe Zhlub can play a scratchy 78 and throw it on
YouTube and those among our potential audience who don't know any better never
will..they're happy with that scratchy lift).