[78-L] fwd: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Dec 22 11:36:50 PST 2009

I was prepared to be very upset about this, because Marsalis is one of
the world's greatest doofuses, but you know something, that Spanish fan,
Rafael Gisbert, was right.  This isn't jazz.  In fact, it isn't music.
It is sh*t.  It is uninspired random noodling that a group of 11-year
olds would be embarrassed to play after three months of music lessons.
Check this crap out on YouTube.  I've had this bilge on for fifteen
minutes and I am ready to admit that I was the mastermind of 9/11, I
stole the Arbeit Macht Frei sign, I kidnapped Patti Hurst, I was the
grassy knoll shooter, and I leaked the hydrogen bomb plans to Stalin.
It has that effect on you.

I am going to listen to a test-tones record to try to cleanse my ears.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: "simmonssomer" <simmonssomer at comcast.net>
> Very interesting about Marsalis but one of these days he
> should read "Lost Chords" by Richard Sudhalter.
Al Simmons