[78-L] fwd: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 17:12:47 PST 2009

Or to hear how the song was performed differently every time it was played, whether in major or minor ways. I've always looked at records as artifacts of 'the real thing,' not the thing itself, that is live/real time performance as far as I'm concerned (I'm not knocking studios or dubbing).  If someone is seriously working several nights a week or more, like Duke, say, then the studio is a neccessarily minor part of his career, even if he were in there once a week.

Mike, I'm serious about that Coltrane Temple show you have being a big deal, even if you're not interested. I understand the various legal issues with the recording itself, but you've got an important historical document people would love to know more about, even if it were merely  'radio broadcast, spring 1967, Temple University, Coltrane with unknown musicians.' I'd be willing to donate slight bucks to you to subsidize you paying someone else to transfer it just so there's a safety, in the hopes of increasing the chances I might be able to hear it eventually; I suspect I might not be alone.

Gene