[78-L] Guy needs PRESTO 78 disc transferred

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 22 13:52:49 PST 2009

I got the note below today. Not sure why Mike sent him to me but I did ask Jerry (the sender) if okay to post here. I'm sure someone here can heklp him. Email him OFF THIS LIST at:  gklein at akleinpr.com

Steve Ramm

 My name is Jerry Klein.  My college roommate, Mike Biel,
gave me your name and email address.

A friend of mine has a 10-inch record he asked me to get converted to
a digital file for him. It's a recording of his mother singing,
accompanied on the piano by Hazel Scott.

The disk seems to be aluminum with a black lacquer(?) coating on both
sides, into which the recording was cut. The center label is green
with "PRESTO U.S.A" printed concentrically around the center hole.
There are three additional holes, evenly spaced concentrically about
an inch out from the center hole.

One side is 33 rpm and the other is 78 rpm, with the groove running
from the center out.

I have already attempted a conversion using my old GE VRII cartridge
with a 3-mil stylus, converting the speeds digitally.  But my results
are very noisy (the disk is in poor condition, with a lot of scuffs
and scratches), so I'm looking for someone with more experience than
I have who might be able to do a better job.  Willing to pay for it.

Please let me know if this is something you could do for me.

Thanks,

Jerry Klein
Medford, NJ