[78-L] David Lennick really knows how to pack 78's forshipment!!!!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 21 17:03:16 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> I used to find a lot of party records in churches.  Really.  There used
> to be an annual co-op sale with a large church in each of Wilmette,
> Winettka, and Kennelworth, Ill.  They had shuttle buses between all
> three and the el.  They had TONS of records in the late 60s and early
> 70s, and on one day I found about 75 party records -- 50 in one church
> alone!

The sixties and seventies were halcyon days for 78 collectors! 78's were
basically
unwanted...most players couldn't even PLAY the dommed things...and
gazillions of folks were throwing their 78's into boxes (and bags and
barrels?!)
and giving them to thrift stores. EVERY flea market or "junque store" had
large stacks of 78's...at worst $1 each, but more often a quarter. In fact,
often wonder how many 78's that I was forced (by finances or time) to
leave behind unpurchased were ones that I SHOULD have acquired?!

Back in c.1978, I bought what had been a large and carefully-assembled
78 collection from the main Goodwill store in Toronto! IIRC, the "lot
price" was fifty bucks...for about 200-300 78's. They were VERY
happy to get rid of them to someone who obviously cared about them;
however, I DID get tired of carrying the dommed boxes!

This was also when I found my undocumented 12" Royal Blue Columbia
disc about which I posted earlier...for a whopping FIFTY CENTS in
among a stack of 12" Red Seal Victors! And I can recall visiting a
"junque" store (or flea-market table?) in Galena, Ill's...all-too-briefly
looking through two-foot (61.3408 kilopascals/cubic hectolitre) piles
of 78's at a quarter per each!

Goal remains EF78REM (except classical)...donations to the cause
VERY happily accepted!

Steven C. Barr