[78-L] David Lennick really knows how to pack 78'sfor shipment!!!!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 21 16:27:56 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Chichester" <dnjchi78 at live.com>
> I found the complete set one day while in high school--at a St. Vincent de
> Paul thrift store.  Are there any of these stores left?

There is...or was recently, anyway...one here in Oshawa, Ont'o.! The charity
also operates
a kitchen, where complete meals are available for (IIRC) just over $1 each.
Now, for a
tale about their thrift store...!

Three or four years ago (IIRC), I dropped by the store to see what was
available. In
amongst a large stack of LP's, there were two or three "A- Columbias"
(78's)...but
price-tagged at $10 apiece! I took one up to the cashier (to see if that
price was an
error...?!)...and she said, "Oh, no! Those are ANTIQUES...older than I
am...and
they are VERY valuable!" I barely restrained myself from saying, "Yes, I
know...I
have over 50,000 of the dommed things, and usually pay a nickel or dime each
for them?!" All well and good...except one of their "valuable antiques"
happened
to be a disc I didn't/don't own...?! My current financial circumstances
preclude
me from "Well, <deleted>...I'll buy the dommed record at THEIR price?!"...so
I wot not if they found a sucker who would pay $10 for a 50-cent/$1 78...?!

Steven C. Barr