[78-L] Test Pressing?

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Mon Dec 21 15:31:23 PST 2009

I bought a disc today for a few bucks that looks like a test pressing, but
I'm not that familiar with such things. I thinks it's a Columbia because it
has the typical style matrix number (85499) in the runout area and the take
number, etc. indented where the label should be. Also making that likely is
what is written in the area where the label would usually be.  There are a
series of handwritten notations, including "Jugo-Slav" and "Will sell on E
Series for [Supplier?]."  The record is indeed a small band doing Eastern
European music.

In addition, other notations are: "good," "bad," and "I cannot recommend
this for production," followed by an indeciferable signature or initials.

So, is this how companies evaluated releases, essentially circulating a
pressing that folks then made notes on?  Also, was this record ever
released?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Gregg Kimball