[78-L] Pop and Jazz Singers

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Dec 21 11:00:05 PST 2009

I'd add:

Arthur Fields,  a very musical belter with a great sense of humor.

Bon Bon (George Tunnell),  one of the best band vocalists.

Harry Babbitt,  long with Kay Kyser.  As George Simon said,  he didn't sing
in a particular style but really sang well,  all the time.

Was Bing Crosby a deliberate omission?  I'd sure add him.

I think there's room for Johnny Marvin as well...a real cross-over artist
who could do country/folk as well as pop/jazz.

I may stand alone in my taste for Sid Gary,  but I would also add Irving
Kaufman,  especially because of his later electric recordings where he
didn't have to holler.

And a short plug for two less-known 40s band singers,  both of whom were
excellent:  Gary Stevens and Larry Taylor.

And I'm sure there are many more I'd add,  given a little time to mull.

Taylor