[78-L] Colored vinyl records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Dec 19 17:38:33 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
>> At 02:07 PM 12/18/2009, you wrote:
>>> Ted Kneebone wrote:
>>> l perhaps 35 years ago.  Aeolian Vocalion put one of them out in
>>> red-white-&-blue to commemorate the "end" of of WW I, and something like
>>> 7 colors to commemorate something else.  And there was a short-lived
>>> series of Pathes that mixed the red and black shellac.

Try *90* years ago?! Actually, 91 years, and just over a month ago...?!
As well. the mixed-"red" and black records were Pathe Actuelle...Pathe's
lateral-cut "subsidiary" label. These are all too often OVER-sold on
eWotsit, as though they were RARE?!

>>> And as for plastic, one of the first plastic record, Flexo, put out
>>> their discs in a whole range of colors, some transparant and some
>>> opaque.  The 16-inch Flexo Brunswick ETs were transparent blue, and
>>> since the plastic was cellulose acetate, the labels told you to only use
>>> the special acetate needles.  Among other things, this led the idiots
>>> who worked in radio to call lacquer discs "acetates"  Durium's coated
>>> paper records were brown.

Durium's "Hit Of The Week" records were on light-brown paperboard, which
was then coated with clear "Durium" plastic...thickly enough that the
recording
could be pressed in the plastic layer. Surprisingly durable!