[78-L] The Peacock Network

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Dec 18 20:38:29 PST 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Anyone noticed a lot of feathers on NBC lately? Tonight's Law & Order
> (a rerun, no less) began with "The following program is brought to you
> in Living Color on NBC", a phrase we haven't heard since .. what, about
> 40 years ago? And feathers floating during a network break where someone
> in Buffalo didn't insert a commercial.  dl

Leah says she has seen the Technical Difficulty feathers a couple of
times.  Not sure about seeing that opening -- was it a new announcer or
Ben Grauer or Mel Brant's original recordings???  NBC has a few people
there with historical sensitivities, and someone did a wonderful montage
when WNBC-TV's analog transmitter finally signed off several weeks after
the shut-off day when it continued to broadcast in Spanish and Englush
an NAB film about the digital changeover.  Our inside historian contact
at NBC did not know about it till I told him it was on YouTube.  NBC has
a WONDERFUL screen-saver that sometimes you can see on the computers in
the background in the large studio used for MSNBC.  We're trying to get
a copy of the file.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com