[78-L] Colored vinyl records

Mike Murray recrdman at dreamscape.com
Fri Dec 18 13:40:31 PST 2009

In soundtrack collecting, the most famous example of a beautiful
multicolor "splash vinyl" LP is the soundtrack on Dot to Jerry Lewis'
"Cinderfella. Actually the second pressing is black, and is probably
rarer (thought not as pretty).
Dave L - if you open that "My Fair Lady" color disk I think you will
see it is actually a shade of purple. (For awhile in the 70s/80s
Columbia issued blue vinyl 45rpm DJ pressings)
Other color vinyl soundtracks:
"The Color Purple" 2LP set -a beautiful lavender.
The 1978 reissue of "Silent Running" on Varese Sarabande is green vinyl
"Lost Horizon" on Bell label has a blue vinyl edition
"The Deep" has a blue vinyl issue
Many budget label studiotracks had color pressings well, e.g. Royle,
Mayfair etc

The gold Grand Funk "We're An American Band" LP is just one of many,
many in the rock Lp genre.
The color rock LP issues coincided with the "picture disk" LPs phase
popular for awhile.
Mike Murray