[78-L] The reluctant downloader

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Dec 16 00:02:14 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> This is an article by Jeremy Eichler, a columnist with the New York Times.
> I found it very insightful, wistful, and more than just a bit sad. Every
> collector on this list will understand and value his/her collection even
> more after reading it. Also - please forgive his misstatement that the 78
> era ended with World War II. Probably a third of my 78 collection comes
> from after this period. Anyway, read and enjoy.

My personal attitude is...and has always been...that I don't really OWN a
piece of
music until I can acquire it in its original 78rpm-record form! Digital
copies hardly
count...likewise cassette recordings made for me by someone who owns the
disc.
In fact, even 78rpm reissues aren't quite the same as actually owning an
original
78rpm record! I can use any or all of the other entities to listen to the
performance...
but it is NOT the same thing as owning the actual original 78 of the
performance!

Steven C. Barr