[78-L] Warner "Big Band" set - Go watch it! <vbg>

Sean Miller smille1 at nycap.rr.com
Tue Dec 15 17:41:08 PST 2009

You are correct, Jeff.  The later style arms were and are called "inertia"
tonearms.  They do have better balance.  I'm mostly with you on the play the
VG copies of non-rare stuff on one.  I keep two sets of shelves in my
phonograph room full of exactly that kind of stuff.  I routinely add to it
from collections I pick up.  My "good" records do not generally get played
on them, with rare exception.  I won't even play my Berliners on my front
mount Victor machine, it's more decorative than anything else, honestly, but
I will play a common acoustic on it for guests.  OK, I've never even played
a Berliner acoustically...tempting, but I won't, nor any Zonophones or a
Monarch or even a more "common" Grand Prize Victor, unless I've got an
"archive" copy as a spare or it's something already quite worn.

I hope you didn't take what I said before as an attack.  It wasn't meant to
be, but I've seen (and unfortunately participated in) major disputes here
over playing a record on a vintage machine.  To me, it's charming to hear a
machine play a record from it's own era, it's a major part of what
catapulted me into being the record collecting maniac that I am 25 years
later!

Sean