[78-L] A word of warning concerning playback of Warner "BigBand" set Re: They are practically Giving away the Vitaphone DVD set!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Dec 15 16:21:08 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> I'm still finding DVDs that begin with commercials and promos
>> that can't be stopped or skipped through..drives me crazy.
> Especially when it is five years after the "coming attractions" are
> moot.
> Anybody remember those thick Edison discs that couldn't be played on our
> Victrolas and those thin Edison discs that could?

In fact, I still recall VERY well my first encounter with a vertical-cut
record...
a Pathe, IIRC! It looked exactly like all my other 78's (a few hundred, way
back then...!)...but playing it, either on my old wind-up machine or my
electric
"record player," produced little if any sound! Dommed thing LOOKED like
a record...but it didn't WORK like one...?!

Steven C. Barr