[78-L] The Christmas Songs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 14 19:29:18 PST 2009

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> Didn't Autry's wife tell him he'd be an idiot if he didn't
>> record "Rudolph"?

The story was told in detail by Judy Gail Krasno the record's producer
Hecky Krasno's daughter in her book "Rudolph, Frosty, and Captain
Kangaroo". I think she says she was there for the recording session.

http://www.judygailkrasnow.com/index.html

http://www.amazon.com/Rudolph-Frosty-Captain-Kangaroo-Krasnow-Producer/dp/1595800263/ref=sr_1_1/105-8964471-5858062?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193688976&sr=8-1

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> I was a VERY small childlet when "Rudolph" first emerged...and I
> dimly recall our family having a "booklet" of the story, handed
> out by Montgomery Ward!  Given that was 2/3 century ago (or
> thereabouts), I no longer own the book, nor do I have any idea
> what may have been its fate...?!

Of course that is how the story was originally published.  It was
written by Robert L. May in 1939 for his employer, Montgomery Ward as a
promotional Xmas givaway. (I have an original paper copy of it and the
hardbound facsimile published in 1967.)  It was published as a trade
hardbound book a year or two later, and then Paul Wing recorded it for
RCA Victor, on 78s of course.  The story was then STOLEN for a song by
Johnny Marks who spent the latter years of his life being interviewed
pretending that he had invented the character and devised the story.  In
addition to being a songwriter he was a notable self promoter and liar.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com