[78-L] A word of warning concerning playback of Warner "BigBand" set Re: They are practically Giving away the Vitaphone DVD set!

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 14 13:22:37 PST 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
>> (I'm also mad at the DVD industry for constantly rereleasing the same
>> material with slight revisions or "ultimate" versions
>
> However, you have said that you wish you could re-do some of your
> earlier CDs with the newer technology.  My gripe is repackaging the SAME
> material that has NOT be re-reprocessed or improved.

People who bought the "ultimate" Wizard Of Oz a couple of years ago are now
confronted with the 70th anniversary edition (the only thing that could get me
to watch that one again is if it showed in a real the-ay-ter, which I gather is
happening in "selected cities" next year..or maybe it's already happened and we
missed it). At the same time, all sorts of things are being dumped in the $5
bin because Blu-Ray is making the old dvd obsolete. I wonder if they're
improving some of the really rotten transfers, like The Old Man And The Sea?
Finally got around to watching that the other week and it's horrible and the
sound is worse.