[78-L] Happy Birthday to You

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 13 19:44:16 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bud Black" <banjobud at cfl.rr.com>
> Do you have the one about the young man from Nantucket?

Actually, should the need arise, I can sing that (or any) limerick...to at
least
two, possibly three different tunes...! The 78 of "Rhymes" (both US and UK)
will give you somewhat of an idea...?!
> From: umashankar
>  i have published my poems. you can read (or buy) at http://stores.lulu
> com/umashankar
> ________________________________
> From: Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com>
> We have another expression here in Southern California, where a genius
> record repairer named Jim Cooprider repairs cracks in all kinds of 78s to
> make them playable, often without audible ticking. He uses different
> materials depending on the age and substance of the record. It's easy to
> spot a Cooprider repair job - so when we see one at a swap meet or record
> sale, we just say, "Here's an Ellington Victor that's been Cooped."
> Everyone
> knows what that means.
> Cary Ginell
>> From: bowiebks at isomedia.com
>> What a nice turn of phrase...I envy all of you who had the chance to know
>> the late Mr.  Healey.  He must have been quite a guy.
>> Taylor

As well as I knew Jeff, I don't recall ever having heard him use that
term...?! I
would guess he was referring to 78's which were worn grey on one side, but
had mint "other sides?!" Jukeboxes of the 40's/early 50's played only one
side of
a record...I was well into my "youthhood" before it became possible to play
either side of a record on a jukebox!

And, BTW, Jeff WAS a really great guy...I knew him from early 1977 (right
after I had moved to Toronto from Ill's.) until his recent untimely death! I
first met him as an 11-year-old kid...who was (to my surprise) bidding
against me on a box of 78's at a small local auction near where I lived.
I bought the box, took out a few 78's (including the one I wanted...Al
Jolson singing with Lombardo) and sold him the remaining records
very cheaply. In fact, he used to make regular visits to my place, to
buy (cheaply!) any 78's I wanted to dispose of!

Then, when he changed his collecting goal (to every 78 listed in ADBD)...
he gave me all the vocal 78's he had accumulated...a few hundred, IIRC.

When he first started playing blues-rock and put together a band, he
would always invite me to sit in on harmonica...we used to go to
Grossman's Tavernette for their Sunday-evening blues jams. Sadly,
his talent was so incredible that he quickly became famous...ending my
opportunities to sit in! However, I had scored a "house band" gig at a
small club, Chicago's Diner.on Queen Street West...and at the time
Jeff lived very nearby, so if he wasn't on the road, he would always
drop in and sit in on guitar...!

Steven C. Barr