[78-L] Casette-taping 78's--was: Gennett Jingle Bells

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 13 17:36:42 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Miller" <smille1 at nycap.rr.com>
>I had forgotten what this even sounded like until I played the file just
> now...LOVE that cymbal player!  The 78 has been packed away for at least
> four years...now I need to grab the box it's in (a job in itself) and
> re-transfer it with proper noise reduction software now that I am better
> equipped...

I am still intending to install the necessary "mini-phone-plug" by
connecting it
to the ceramic cartridge output leads; problem is, I have lost a lot of the
"fine motor dexterity" in my right hand...turning a once-simple task into an
extremely difficult one!

I know my plan will work...I used to own a small RCA Victor "record
player," and did the same thing (except using a regular 1/4" phone plug)
At that time, the "heart" of my sound system was a Sony r2r deck, mated
with a newer Sony cassette deck...so I could put selected 78's onto
cassette tapes (did this often for DL...and also for the chap who hosted
the "big band" show on CJRT. Back then, one could pledge $100 to RT
and then have one's own music played for an entire program; I'd tape
three hours worth of 78's, and take the results to RT for air play!

Steven C. Barr