[78-L] A novice-y type Purple OKeh question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 10 20:26:23 PST 2009

The Bessie Smith is a dub, per Rust's Jazz Records..all 4 of those 1933 sides
were dubbed for the Columbia and OKeh 40s reissues. About the only way you
could tell visually is if the matrix numbers and run-out grooves look as if
they're from the wrong period and if they have lead-ins.

Lots of OKehs from the early 40s sound muddy just because they were processed
quickly and cheaply with substitute materials owing to wartime restrictions.
But from 1940 on, every new recording on OKeh and Columbia is a dub from a
16-inch lacquer original..some of them were awful, some of them sounded fine,
and if the record stayed in print for a while, new dubs were made.

dl