[78-L] Vinyl continues its comeback

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Thu Dec 10 01:09:31 PST 2009

David Lennick wrote:

> SOMEBODY is playing all those LPs in the clubs! And Numark is making the
> turntables for them, complete with pitch variation and reverse direction.

I've yet to see a dj playing LPs!
Dj's play 7'', 10'' or 12'' singles or EP's at 33 or 45 rpm. Used to be
called "maxi singles" when we were young(er). The format was invented for
dj's, just as Technics, Numark and other manufacturers make special
turntables and cartridges and slipmats for dj's.
--

Cary Ginell wrote:
> Criminy, if they only "created rhythmic sounds," they wouldn't need more
> than > one record in their libraries.

They don't as a matter of fact. Many, if not most dj's use a physical,
"generic" disc only to reproduce the scratching movement; the impulses are
registered digitally and affect - in real time - whatever track you choose
to play from your computer.
Looks like real - is real, because it's still handicraft - but the guys
don't have to carry around big boxes of vinyl.
Kristjan