[78-L] Bleach was Re: Windex

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Wed Dec 9 07:49:01 PST 2009

I had come home with some real nice records several months back.  All were sleeved and quick glance I made at the records they seemed like a good lot to take for a very fair asking price.  However, when I got home there was one box that had a lot of mold on them.  It seemed to be a surface variety that had not attacked the grooves and they certainly smelled moldy.

As an experiment I used a wet cloth, rung it out, then added some bleach to it.  Wasn't sure the outcome would be but plan b would have been to toss the records and keep the mold away from the rest of my collection.  To my surprise it didn't harm the records, at least in the near term and I was able to get rid of the smell.  Anyone ever use bleach and noticed any ill effects on records?

Glenn