[78-L] Maria Muldaur

Peter Fraissinet pf13 at cornell.edu
Tue Dec 8 10:34:20 PST 2009

And just released in October on the Stony Plain label, Maria Muldaur
& Her Garden of Joy, teaming up with some luminaries from her past
and present to make some great jug band music (everybody's getting
back to their jug band roots, it seems).  With old songs like Bank
Failure Blues and The Panic Is On, the old jug band repertoire of
Maria's seems extra-relevant just now.

She was touring until a couple weeks back with members of the Crow
Quill Night Owls to promote the CD (see their vids on youtube, you
won't be sorry).  What a fun evening when they came through Ithaca
NY!  Maria got to reunite with her old Even Dozen Jug Band pal Peggy
Haine, who lives hereabouts.  Peggy got up and blew a jug for one tune.

Now a couple of those Crow Quill boys (Kit Stovepipe & Devin
Champlin) are spending their pre-gig hours in every town they come
through hunting up old 78s (& LPs), and I sent them home with some of
mine, after we played a few tunes outdoors on a beautiful
unseasonably warm November day.  Don't you love it when record
collectors are actually using their collections to create their own
music?  I sent them off with a CDR of some Arizona Dranes on OKeh and
Catherine Boswell on QRS that they needed to hear...

Peter Fraissinet
West Danby NY