[78-L] Record storage & 2nd floor weight limits

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Dec 8 06:56:19 PST 2009

All of mine are in two downstairs locations. Most LPs are in a first floor bedroom; the 78s are in a walled-off section of my garage (alarmed, of course), which is on a cement slab that I had carpeted. Since California is earthquake country, all of my shelves are screwed to each other and bolted to studs in the walls with steel angle brackets. The open faces of the 78 shelves have bungee cords hooked across them, so that if there is some shaking, no records will "walk" out of their place and fall on the floor. When I have to listen to a record, I just unhook a bungee cord and replace it when I'm done. The wall would have to fall down for anything to break (we've been told "The Big One" is coming, but so far, all we can do is prepare and hope). The shelving is mostly six feet high.

Cary Ginell