[78-L] Record storage & 2nd floor weight limits

victrola78s at aol.com victrola78s at aol.com
Tue Dec 8 00:37:42 PST 2009

Just curious about how & where everybody stores parts of their
collection. I have some of the collection stored upstairs in the loft
family room. These are mostly Lps(with many 78 reissues) kept in those
U-Haul "record & book" boxes, turned on their sides & stacked two high
so that they function as "record shelves". There are 27 boxes each
weighing about 40 pounds, equaling some 1,080 pounds total. That's a
TON of music, literally. They are lined up against a wall under the big
picture windows, spread from one end of the room to the other. This of
course doesn't include the weight of a sleeper sofa, wing chair &
entertainment center with AV stuff in it.

There is a similar amount of 78 albums & Lps stored on actual shelves
in an adjoining room on the same floor-two tons altogether? I remember
reading the obit for the late broadcaster Fred Kallend years ago, in
which it was mentioned that his record collection was so
massive(50,000+) that his ground level floor had to be reinforced. I
don't expect to get up to that many records, since I won't have the 900
years of Methusalah, but we're talking probably 4,500+ at any rate. Oh,
and there are more stored in the garage-which has a concrete pad
floor:) Should I be worried about "mannah from heaven"?

Dennis "Henny Penny" Forkel