[78-L] Revised American Dance Band Discography

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 7 22:52:40 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Lichtman" <jeff at swazoo.com>
>>You have to appreciate that this discography was started about 30 years
>>ago, using the technology of the time, perhaps making it unsuitable for
>>electronic format.
> Anything printed today is typeset electronically, so the data has to
> be in a computer even if it started as longhand on index cards. It
> shouldn't be hard to put it onto a CD-ROM.

And, IF it is going to be in digital form, it is MUCH better if it is either
in
database-file form...or can easily be converted thereunto! About 20 years
ago, I painstakingly typed various information accumulations (like the
data in the RR Perfect issue, and the Plaza matrix list) into dBASE III+,
and discovered, having done so, that the data could be searched, re-sorted,
usw., making it MUCH more useful!

If  "Son Of ADBD" were in "XBase" form, it would be simple to, say, ask
your computer for "tell me all the Sam Lanin recordings from <date> to
<date>"...which the computer can do MUCH faster than we humans!
And probably more accurately as well!

Steven C. Barr