[78-L] three riddles

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 14:04:27 PST 2009

goldenbough at arcor.de wrote:

> Yes, some may think that Jazz and Blues were forbidden in communist countries, but they
> were not. They were part of the anti-capitalist propaganda.
> The ideology was that Jazz and Blues were the music of those oppressed by capitalists.
> It was the music of 'comrades'. This is the way it 'had' to be put in the liner notes, if Amiga (East Germany),
> Qualiton (Hungary), Melodiya (USSR), Supraphon (Czechoslovakia) wanted to publish LPs of local
> Dixieland Jazz bands or reissue 'Folk Blues Festival' LPs - probably without paying licence fees to Polydor.
>
> Same for radio shows. Sometimes we could not help laughing when we heard the comments
> to the songs 'of today's slavery in the USA', 'jazz being the outrcy of suppression in the industry suburbs
> where the blacks are trodden on by the feet of the managers at Ford and Chrysler, and exploited by
> United Fruit Company, Procter & Gamble and the like'.  (roughly...)
>
> Benno
I recall around 1956 that it was being suggested (by the Politburo?)
that jazz began in Georgia SSR. Some wit at the time suggested they had
performed a tune called "Stepping Into Classless Society"!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4668 (20091207) __________

http://www.eset.com