[78-L] three riddles

goldenbough at arcor.de goldenbough at arcor.de
Mon Dec 7 13:54:49 PST 2009

Yes, some may think that Jazz and Blues were forbidden in communist countries, but they
were not. They were part of the anti-capitalist propaganda.
The ideology was that Jazz and Blues were the music of those oppressed by capitalists.
It was the music of 'comrades'. This is the way it 'had' to be put in the liner notes, if Amiga (East Germany),
Qualiton (Hungary), Melodiya (USSR), Supraphon (Czechoslovakia) wanted to publish LPs of local
Dixieland Jazz bands or reissue 'Folk Blues Festival' LPs - probably without paying licence fees to Polydor.

Same for radio shows. Sometimes we could not help laughing when we heard the comments
to the songs 'of today's slavery in the USA', 'jazz being the outrcy of suppression in the industry suburbs
where the blacks are trodden on by the feet of the managers at Ford and Chrysler, and exploited by
United Fruit Company, Procter & Gamble and the like'.  (roughly...)

Benno

Es weihnachtet sehr! Vom leckerem Backrezept bis zum leckeren Schneehasen finden Sie alles im Weihnachtsspecial von Arcor.de:
http://www.arcor.de/rd/footer.weihnachten
Feliz Navidad, God Yul, Merry X-Mas und ein frohes Fest!