[78-L] three riddles

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 6 18:32:22 PST 2009

RAY KILCOYNE wrote:
> From: "Jan Hovers"
> Thanks to Kristjan and Bertrand I know that Les Paul was (co-)writer and
> before Piaf. Hope to find out more details on Les Paul’s recording.
>
> I don't know if this helps, but I have a Les Paul and Mary Ford LP that says
> VA YA CON DIOS was first released on June 1, 1953.  In the U.S. JOHNNY was
> on the flip side.
> RayK

This was one of the first records I bought with my own money at the
Teaneck Record Store -- I got the 45.  But there is another story that I
have told here before but it goes along with the Russian question that
Jan asked.  When I was in Moscow in 1995, one of the things I was
especially hoping to find was an X-Ray recording.  I did get a chance to
see and videotape a large collection of them at Valarie Safooshkin's
apartment, so this told me that the film was not the thick film used in
the U.S. for x-rays, but film of the same thickness as regular snapshot
film.  A few days later I was at the Izmilova Flea Market, and while
looking thru a small group of 78s there were a few floppies there too.
I noticed that one of them seemed to have a mottled appearance, and I
just slid a tip of an edge beyond the pile -- it was an x-ray!!  So I
slid it back with the other floppies -- I certainly didn't hold it up to
the light!  The guy sold me the 4 or 5 78s for a dollar each and threw
in the four or five floppies for free, including the x-ray!  It was of a
spine.  Written in pencil was just the word in cyrillic "DZANNIE".
There is no J in Russian.  I had no way of knowing what Johnny this was
referring to.  I had no way of playing it till I got home a month later,
and it was the first thing I did when I got in the door.  It took only
two or three notes before I knew it was "Johnny (Is the Boy For Me}".
If you listen to it like a Russian would, you will know why.  It sounds
like a balalaika.  I bet there was no interest in Russia in "Via Con
Dios".

Mike (no longer spineless) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com