[78-L] Scott Robinson's contrabass sax

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 3 09:32:00 PST 2009

Now I want to hear comments from Vince Giodano!   That story and the CNN
report is great!   When I was in grad school at Northwestern, the guy in
the next apartment was a sax major.  There was a sax conference down in
Chicago and he literally had to drag me down to a conference concert
kicking and screaming.  He said this was a once in a lifetime ensemble,
a saxophone sextette they put together especially for that conference.
He told me I would be blown away but I didn't believe him. All I could
think of was the Six Brown Bros. and I was not looking forward to it.
But GAD, what a SOUND!!  Never before or since have I ever heard such a
wonderful sound.  I had thought the greatest sound was a bass sax, but
now I realize that it is possible that that special ensemble for that
conference might have included a contrabass like this as well.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com