[78-L] Verve Label Colours

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Nov 27 19:55:16 PST 2009

You actually gave the answer to your question: the first label colour was orange-yellow
replaced by black. So the black 10047 is a repressing, and prob. the orange label was
changed to black before 10070. Available label images of 10050 & 10079 (both Ella) have black labels.

The Verve 2000 series was issued from ca. Jan 1956 on and has orange labels in
the range 2002-2025 (incl. the Spike Jones), but a repressing of 2025 (Crosby) has a black label.
.
The rare 89000 Clef series has black labels for 89183 (Dizzy, 1958).

So the orange label was used ca. Jan 1956 - ca. Apr 1958. The fact that the orange label is rare for
10047 indicates that the label had been changed when it had to be repressed.
Actually I have seen 2 variants of the 10047 black label, with slightly different layout
- 1. Orchestra conducted / by / BARNEY KESSEL (as on your label)
- 2. Orchestra / conducted by / BARNEY KESSEL.
But I've never seen a Canadian pressing.

Han Enderman
===
>>> In particular can anyone fill in
some time lines for the use of the black and silver Verve label
versus the orange and yellow Verve label. I'm not sure what year
Verve started up, was it maybe 1955? I know that in 1957 they used
the black and silver version on the Ricky Nelson releases on 78, but
there is also an orange and yellow version of his first release (I'm
Walking V-10047). Both it and the second release, You're My One and
Only Love V-10070 were on black and silver, I have nver seen a yelow
and silver version of the second one, so I wonder if it exists. The
anorak in me needs to know

-----
I have the Spike Jones 4 song disc with yellow & orange, and on a Canadian
pressing at that. Ditto Ella Fitzgerald's "Hot-a Chocolate" (sp?). I've never
seen either of the Ricky Nelson discs with anything but black & silver.

dl
<<<