[78-L] Lili Marleen

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Thu Nov 26 03:35:45 PST 2009

--
Marlene is the English spelling (used on English versions).
Somewhere along the way the German spelling changed from Marlen to Marleen.
>From late 1940's on most of Lale Andersen's own rerecordings use the
spelling Marleen.
This is also the spelling Bear Family (a German label) has chosen for their
7 CD-set with nearly 200 recordings of Lili Marleen and related songs.

--

--
At that time Lale Andersen actually sang the song, but not to Norbert
Schulze's melody. Composer Rudolf Zink had set music to Hans Leib's poem -

Some sources say that Schultze wasn't very fond of the recording either - it
might well have been the arranger or producer who put the decisive military
touch to it. Goebells had his thoughts about how useful the song was for
fighting moral, but that was later.
There were, however, soft ballad versions of "Lili Marleen" recorded in
Germany even in the war years. Some of these are found in the Bear Family
compilation.
http://www.bear-family.de/index.php?sid=3072e2923f3e7cd728ecf261862161ec&cl=details&anid=059cd098ccc98158e3a32562df61b8b8&listtype=search&tcsong=Lili%20Marleen%20&tcinterpret=ANDERSEN%2C%20Lale&tcexact=
Kristjan