[78-L] Lili Marleen

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Nov 25 13:28:48 PST 2009

Milan P Milovanovic wrote:

> Dear all,
> just about two years ago or so, person from Belgium contacted me, saying
> that he is in possession of original Decelith record inscribed "Lili
> Marleen" with interpretation of a song that was distributed freely via
> Sender Belgrad radio station - it was the main source that made this song
> so
> popular during those war years.
> Unfortunately, this man contacted me only once - he was interested in
> process of record cleaning.
> He also said, he bought this foil on some kind of a flea-market.

---
You mean that the station made its own copies and distributed them to
listeners?
That would be interesting, because the story of the Beograd station (the
German Armed Forces Network in occupied Serbia) has many versions. One is
that the station was given orders, from Berlin, not to play the song - which
could account for it's efforts to distribute acetates of it to its
listeners.
But the copy offered to you could as well have been a private recording from
one of the broadcasts.
Kristjan