[78-L] DESIGN LP--was: Re: Unexpected ET (was NON-sexy!) LP

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Nov 22 19:37:39 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <david.diehl at hensteeth.com>
>I would guess the 1954 Victor release of the Fats Waller Associated ET
>material on LPT6001 was probably the first, at least on a major label. Obie
>leased a lot of Standard ET things a year or two later. Decca used World
>masters in the 1940's but that was a special case.
> > From: Steven C. Barr Makes sense...! When (about) were 78-like
> > "transcription tracks" of pop dancemusic first issued?

What I am/was asking about is a Design LP I owned almost half-a-century
ago! It was in my "first set of in-laws'" LP accumulation...I used to play
it on
every visit, and they fanally GAVE me the dommed thing! Of course, it has
now long since been stolen...I have had ALL my LP's stolen at least twice...
and most recently (early 1997) had all my LP's sold off for c. $100 (this
was about 400 albums, inclusing a LOT of blues rarities and many UK
78-reissue LP's as well!).

Fortunately, I still owned the Design LP after I started collecting
78's...and
was able to compare its musical content to ARC 78's I had acquired. The
LP tracks were audibly NOT the ARC 78 sides...though they seemed to
use the same arrangements! These were pop "dance tunes" from c. 1934...
a "sub-category" of recorded music which I still enjoy listening to...!

Now...does there exist on the Internet a database listing these old Design
LP's? This is an album I would very much enjoy RE-acquiring...!!

Steven C. Barr