[78-L] Gershwin Porgy rehearsal recording

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 21 19:28:24 PST 2009

We're not confusing this with the Second Rhapsody, are we? That does have a
matrix number and Victor's file copy is missing but Ira had one (and I still
don't know if it was 12" or 16" but I notice that it isn't in the 33RPM matrix
listing in ARSC Journal). MRC 69986-1, June 26/31, line from WEAF, "Special
Record of NBC". Don't ask me where I got that info..it's on a typed piece of
paper I keep in VMB2.

As for the rehearsal, I found this:
"One rehearsal was recorded in the CBS studios on July 19, 1935"
from William Hyland's biography.
http://books.google.ca/books?id=EoKvjKEsf0MC&pg=PA168&lpg=PA168&dq=%22porgy+and+bess%22+%22rehearsal%22+%221935%22&source=bl&ots=lHP8914JXP&sig=6McmNOqEQnp4N3cL9gnPZQuTz6s&hl=en&ei=M68IS5DREcn-nAfi_8jDCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CCUQ6AEwCDgK#v=onepage&q=%22porgy%20and%20bess%22%20%22rehearsal%22%20%221935%22&f=false

dl