[78-L] Nordskog's lathe

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Nov 20 21:51:21 PST 2009

From: "Martin Fisher" <wmfisher at mtsu.edu>
Date: Fri, November 20, 2009 11:54 am
> So I'm stuck in the past and just can't get out.

Aren't we all.  But I just can't WAIT for Nov 22 at 6:29 PM because that
will be when, finally, a posting from last month by Mark L.
Bardenwerper, Sr will cease being at the top of my inbox!!!!!!  You all
might remember that we had two listers living in the FUTURE last month,
Mark being the much more progressive of the two.

> These photos lead me to believe that the only "hand driven" portion
> of the lathe is the feed screw.

Any crank on the feed screw would only be to position the head at the
start and/or possibly to do a lead-out.  Things like this were also used
to band records.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

> A few observations and questions regarding Arne Nordskog's disc lathe. The
references I've found so far state that the lathe was "driven by hand"
which
would seem to indicate that the TURNTABLE PLATTER was turned manually by

crank as the cutting was done. The two pictures I've located only give a

top view from the front and right side. These are the low resolution
picture on the First Cask website
http://firstcask.blogspot.com/search?q=nordskog and the picture on page
18
of Floyd Levin's "Classic Jazz" book, available on Google Books.

> These photos lead me to believe that the only "hand driven" portion of the
lathe is the feed screw. There is clearly a front wound spring motor
present which probably drives the turntable. A rudimentary crank is
cobbled
up on the right side which is most likely a manulal drive for the feed
screw. Without bottom photos it's a guess as to the linkage but it's
relatively easy to figure the possibilities.

Are there any other clear photos of the lathe that would offer other
clues
or allow one to see fine details. Looks to me like the
reproducer/recorder
is a Cheney vertical that was fitted for lateral cutting at an almost or

perfect 90 degree angle to the surface. And check out the tracking
angle!
Must be at least a three inch overhang. Was this common??

Martin Fisher