[78-L] 'On Mobile Bay'

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Thu Nov 19 11:14:38 PST 2009

>John,
>     Sorry I can't help you.  If it was an electric Harmony it would
> have to be 1930 or later as all the Columbia discount labels were
> acoustic until 1930.  If I do run across such a record I'll
> certainly let you know.   I'd like to hear it myself.    Jack

There were some electric dime-store label Columbias before 1930. For
example, all of Annette Hanshaw's Harmonys, Velvet Tones and Divas
were electric, even though they didn't have the "W" in a circle
pressed into the shellac. I don't know whether Columbia was getting
away with something here, as they were supposed to pay a royalty fee
to Western Electric for every record made using their system.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/