[78-L] Pressed in WHAT material...

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Nov 18 22:32:24 PST 2009

From: "Martha" <MLK402 at verizon.net>
> But read the patent carefully - the inventor mentions that vinyl
> compounds may be used along with the "vinsol", plus other materials.
> So, "Victrolac" may very well be vinsol + vinyl + gawdknowswhat.

Read the DATE on the patent carefully.  This is not Victrolac.  The
patent application date is Feb 27, 1937 which is after RCA Victor ceased
using Victrolac.  Indeed, on Feb 15, 1936 they ran an ad on the rear
cover of Broadcasting magazine stating that Victrolac is and always was
Vinylite, which was a Union Carbide product.  Vinsol, the subject of
this patent, is something different.

And by the way, DVL, the spelling is Victrolac, not Vitrolac, and the
10-inch discs in question in Dan Van Landingham's posting are Program
Transcriptions, not Electrical Transcriptions.  There is a BIG
difference in those two names.  The Prog Trans were commercially sold
long playing records from 1931 thru the mid-30s, while Electrical
Transcription is the legal name given to recordings of whatever size or
speed were recorded especially for broadcast purposes only. Never
confuse these two terms, which is easy to do because RCA should not have
used the Prog Trans name!  The 16-inch discs you saw from the WPA or CCC
were Electrical Transcriptions, but not the 10-inchers you have.  (Also,
I'm confused by the Atlantic/National section of your posting.  Where
does that fit in here??)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: "Martha" <MLK402 at verizon.net>