[78-L] Pressed in WHAT material...(earliest Berliner sides)

Milan P Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 12:09:13 PST 2009

Well, here:

http://www.archeophone.org/Berliner5inch/

they said it was hard rubber:

"These records are not made of shellac like records made later, but of
gutta-percha : an inelastic compressed and vulcanized natural latex or
rubber isolated from the sap of several species of tropical tree, but mainly
from Palaquium gutta. They are pressed from metallic matrixes"

BTW, please notice that perfect sound on this sample:
http://www.archeophone.org/Berliner5inch/berliner-532.php

I really don't know what Berliner used to record his own voice, but this
sounds almost like electrically recorded to me.

Best wishes,

Milan