[78-L] David Stone Martin Books

James Harrod jaharrod at cox.net
Fri Nov 13 09:20:51 PST 2009

Manek Daver published two books with Graphic-Sha Publishing, Tokyo.
The first, DAVID STONE MARTIN - JAZZ GRAPHICS, 1991, is (as the title
suggests) devoted to DSM's graphic work for jazz related subjects.  It
includes many of his covers for Disc, Asch, and Stinson releases.  In
the preface it notes that DSM's work for Moses Asch non-jazz music
releases is not included in this volume.  Many of these non-jazz
covers for Asch's labels and others such as Caedmon are included in
the second book, JAZZ ALBUM COVERS - THE RARE AND THE BEAUTIFUL, 1994,
Tokyo.   Daver was working on a third book at the time of his death.
The second book covers other designers such as Gil Melle, Pierre
Merlin, Andy Warhol, etc.  Daver's books have fetched extremely high
prices on Ebay.

Jim Harrod