[78-L] a set of Victor PRogram transcriptions

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Nov 10 11:36:20 PST 2009

Jimmy Wallington was a famous early radio announcer. This is probably a
early experiment in talking books for the blind because I don't think
this ever showed up in Victor catalogs. Listening to the recording, is
is read very fast with only a minimum of expression, which is typical of
readings for the blind.  By 1935 the Library of Congress talking book
program was underway, and the examples I have use the Program
Transcription system of speed and grooving.  One of the discs I have is
the instructions for the player on one side (read by Alwyn Bach) and a
message from an FDR cabinet member about the establishment of this
service for the blind.  The numbering is the Victor matrix number but it
is on LC labels.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com